Nadiya Hussain is a well-known British chef, cookbook author, and television presenter who became famous after winning “The Great British Bake Off” in its sixth season. Nadiya Hussain is widely recognised for her creative approach and exciting flavours, making her a highly respected figure in the culinary world.
Nadiya Hussain’s chicken biryani recipe stands out due to her creative take on this timeless dish. The recipe starts by combining fragrant spices like cinnamon, cardamom, and cloves, which are then sautéed with onions and garlic to develop a deliciously flavorful foundation.
Next, we gently incorporate boneless chicken pieces into the dish and cook them until they turn a beautiful golden brown and become tender and juicy.
Next, we gently add the rice, giving it the opportunity to soak up all the delicious flavours from the chicken and spices. To make it even more delightful, we sprinkle in some fresh coriander and mint leaves.
The outcome is a dish that delights your mouth with its wonderful flavours and fills your home with an enticing smell of spices. Nadiya Hussain’s chicken biryani is a wonderful choice for a dinner party or a cosy night in with loved ones.
Serving Suggestions and Accompaniments
Absolutely! Here are some ideas for how you can serve Nadiya Hussain’s delicious Chicken Biryani:
Here are some options for garnishing: To make the biryani even more delicious and visually appealing, you can add a delightful touch by sprinkling fried onions, cashew nuts, and raisins on top. These extra ingredients bring a pleasant texture and a touch of sweetness to the dish.
Nadiya’s Chicken Biryani goes really well with a variety of traditional sides and condiments. Here are a few suggestions you might want to think about:
Raita: You can serve a delightful cucumber or mint raita alongside your meal for a refreshing touch. Raita is a delicious condiment made with yoghurt that adds a cooling touch to your meal and helps balance out the flavours of the spices.
Chutney: We have a delightful selection of chutneys, including refreshing mint chutney and tangy tamarind chutney, to add a burst of sweet and tangy flavours to your meal.
Pickles: You can enhance the flavour of your biryani by adding a variety of pickles, like mango pickle or mixed vegetable pickle. They will bring a tangy and spicy taste to your dish.
To enhance the delicious and fragrant flavours of the biryani, you might want to consider serving some refreshing beverages:
Mint Lemonade: Enjoy a delightful lemonade infused with the refreshing taste of mint and a touch of sweetness. It offers a refreshing sensation and enhances the spiciness of the dish.
To make a delicious mango lassi, simply blend together some ripe mangoes, yoghurt, and a hint of cardamom. This will result in a smooth and fruity drink that is sure to satisfy your taste buds. It provides a delightful and smooth contrast to the flavorful biryani.
Don’t forget to customise the spice levels and flavours of the accompaniments according to your own taste. I hope you have a wonderful meal and savour the delicious blend of flavours in Nadiya Hussain’s Chicken Biryani!
How long does it take to marinate the chicken for Nadiya’s biryani recipe?
It is recommended to marinate the chicken for a minimum of 30 minutes. For enhanced flavour, you can also choose to marinate it overnight in the refrigerator.
Is it possible to modify this recipe to be vegetarian by replacing the chicken with another ingredient?
Absolutely! It’s completely possible to create a vegetarian version of this biryani recipe. Instead of using chicken, you can replace it with delicious vegetables such as cauliflower, carrots, peas, or potatoes. Please make sure to adapt the cooking time as needed.
How can I adjust the spice levels to suit my taste preferences?
If you like a less spicy biryani, you can use less chilli powder or choose not to include the green chilies. In the same vein, if you prefer a bolder flavour, you have the option to add more chilli powder or incorporate additional green chilies.
Can I prepare Nadiya’s chicken biryani ahead of time and then reheat it later?
Absolutely! It is indeed possible to prepare the biryani ahead of time and simply reheat it when you’re ready to serve. Remember to store it in a sealed container in the fridge. To keep it from drying out when reheating, you can try adding a small amount of water or chicken stock.
What are some common errors to steer clear of when preparing chicken biryani?
Be careful not to cook the rice for too long, as it may end up being too soft and lose its texture. Please ensure that you cook the rice until it reaches a tender consistency. Additionally, it’s important to be cautious and avoid overcooking the spices during the frying process. Make sure to monitor the heat and stir regularly to avoid any chance of them sticking to the bottom of the pot.
Nadiya Hussain Chicken Biryani Recipe
For the Chicken Marinade:
- 600 Gram Boneless Chicken
- 200 Gram Yogurt
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 tbsp Ginger Paste
- 2 tbsp Garlic Paste
- 2 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 2 tsp Ground Coriander
- Salt According to your taste
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
For the Biryani:
- 500 Gram Rice (Basmati)
- 1 liter Chicken Stock
- 3 Cinnamon Sticks
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 6 Cloves
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 2 Onions sliced
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tbsp Garlic Paste
- 1 tbsp Ginger Paste
- 4 Green Chilies slit lengthways
- 2 tsp Ground Cumin
- 2 tsp Ground Coriander
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- Salt According to taste
- 2 Tomatoes chopped
- 6 Cardamom Pods
- A handful of fresh coriander leaves chopped
- A handful of fresh mint leaves chopped
Now, let's explore the detailed process of preparing Nadiya Hussain's Chicken Biryani Recipe:
- Make sure to rinse the basmati rice really well until the water is clear. After that, let it soak in water for about 30 minutes. This technique is useful for getting rid of any extra starch and making sure that the rice turns out nice and fluffy.
- In a big bowl, combine the chicken pieces with ginger paste, garlic paste, turmeric, chilli powder, cumin, coriander, garam masala, yoghurt, and salt. Please make sure to cover the dish and let it marinate for at least 30 minutes, or you can also leave it overnight in the refrigerator for even better results. This helps the flavours seep into the chicken, resulting in a tender and flavorful dish.
- Please set the oven temperature to 180°C.
- In a big pot, warm up the ghee and then include the cinnamon sticks, cardamom pods, cloves, and bay leaves. Cook the ingredients in hot oil for a brief period until they release a pleasant aroma. These spices contribute delightful aromas to the biryani dish.
- Next, you can include the sliced onions and cook them until they turn a lovely golden brown colour. Caramelising the onions gives them a lovely golden colour and imparts a deliciously sweet and rich taste to the dish.
- Please include the ginger paste, garlic paste, and green chilies, and cook for an additional 2 minutes. This adds to the overall flavour and scent.
- Place the marinated chicken into the pan and cook it until it turns a nice golden brown colour on all sides. This step is important because it helps to cook the chicken thoroughly and creates a delicious, crispy outer layer.
- Please include the chopped tomatoes, turmeric, chilli powder, cumin, coriander, and garam masala. Cook the tomatoes for a few minutes until they become soft and pulpy. This helps to enhance the taste of the biryani.
- Pour out the water from the soaked rice and gently place it into the pot. Cook the rice for a few minutes until it is nicely coated in the spices. This helps the rice soak up the delicious flavours of the spices.
- Please include the chicken stock, along with the chopped coriander leaves and mint leaves. Add salt to your liking. These ingredients help to keep the biryani moist and enhance its flavours.
- Heat the mixture until it starts boiling, then lower the heat and cover the pot with a well-fitting lid. Please cook for 10 minutes on low heat. This process enables the rice to cook thoroughly and soak up all the delicious flavours.
- Place the pot in the preheated oven and allow it to bake for 10 minutes. This technique helps to make sure that the rice is cooked evenly and that the flavours are thoroughly mixed together.
- Take the pot out of the oven and allow it to rest for 5 minutes. This gives the biryani time to settle and allows the flavours to blend harmoniously.
- If you’d like, you can add a final touch to your biryani by garnishing it with some fried onions, cashew nuts, and raisins. This enhances the flavour and brings a hint of sweetness to the dish.
- It’s best to enjoy the chicken biryani while it’s still hot, and you can enhance the flavours by pairing it with some raita, chutney, or any other condiment that you prefer.
Tips and variations:
- To make a vegetarian version, you have the option to replace the chicken with vegetables such as cauliflower, carrots, peas, or paneer.
- You can customise the spice levels to your liking by adding more or less chilli powder and green chilies.
- You can enhance the flavour and appearance of the rice by including saffron strands that have been soaked in milk.
- Feel free to get creative with various garnishes like sliced boiled eggs or roasted nuts to enhance the flavour and make your dish look even more appealing.
- Now you’re all set to savour the delicious Chicken Biryani recipe by Nadiya Hussain. This dish is bursting with flavours and delightful aromas that will surely please your palate!
Nadiya Hussain chicken recipes
- Spicy Tandoori Chicken: Nadiya’s take on this classic Indian dish is bursting with flavor and perfect for a weeknight dinner.
- Lemon and Thyme Roast Chicken: Nadiya’s zesty twist on roast chicken is a family favorite.
- Chicken and Mushroom Pie: Try Nadiya’s delicious, comforting chicken and mushroom pie recipe.
- Bengali Korma: Nadiya’s Bengali-inspired chicken korma is a must-try for a taste of authentic flavors.
- Sticky Coconut Chicken: This dish combines sweet and savory flavors for a delightful meal.
- Harissa and Lemon Chicken Traybake: Nadiya’s easy one-pan chicken traybake is a time-saver with a kick of spice.
- Garlic Parmesan Hasselback Chicken: Nadiya’s creative twist on hassle back chicken is a crowd-pleaser.
- Tamarind and Honey Chicken: Explore Nadiya’s unique blend of sweet and tangy flavors in this chicken dish.
- Coconut and Pineapple Chicken: Try this tropical-inspired chicken recipe for a taste of paradise.
- Chicken and Spinach Curry: Nadiya’s quick and tasty curry is perfect for busy evenings.
Nadiya’s Fast Flavors cookbook includes diverse recipes like One-Pan Pancakes, Instant Noodles, and more for quick, delicious meals.
To make biryani juicy, marinate the chicken, use yogurt, and layer it with moist ingredients like fried onions, and cook it on low heat with a tightly sealed lid.
Chicken biryani can be healthy when prepared with lean meat, balanced spices, and whole-grain rice, providing protein, fiber, and essential nutrients.
Unhealthy biryani often results from excessive oil, fatty meat, and refined white rice, which can lead to excess calories and saturated fats.
Eating chicken biryani daily is not recommended due to its high calorie and fat content. As part of a healthy diet, enjoy it in moderation.
Biryani can provide protein, carbohydrates, and spices with potential antioxidant properties. When prepared thoughtfully, it can be a flavorful and nutritious meal.