Sopa Fria de Coditos, also known as Cold Pasta Salad, is a refreshing and delicious dish that is perfect for hot summer days. This Mexican-inspired recipe combines cooked pasta, colorful vegetables, and a tangy dressing to create a flavorful and satisfying meal. Whether you’re hosting a backyard barbecue or looking for a light lunch option, this recipe is sure to impress your family and friends.
What is Sopa Fria de Coditos?
Sopa Fria de Coditos, also known as Cold Pasta Salad, is a popular dish in Spanish cuisine. This refreshing and versatile salad is made with small pasta shapes, typically elbow macaroni or coditos, and a variety of colorful vegetables and herbs.
To prepare Sopa Fria de Coditos, the pasta is cooked until al dente and then cooled down. Meanwhile, a medley of vegetables such as tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, and onions are finely chopped. These vegetables not only add vibrant colors to the dish but also provide a refreshing crunch.
Once the pasta is cooled, it is combined with the chopped vegetables and tossed in a tangy dressing. The dressing usually consists of olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper. This zesty dressing enhances the flavors of the pasta and vegetables, giving the dish a delightful taste.
Sopa Fria de Coditos is incredibly versatile, allowing for endless variations. Some people like to add protein, such as diced ham or shredded chicken, to make it a more substantial meal. Others prefer to incorporate herbs like parsley or cilantro to add an extra burst of freshness. This dish is perfect for picnics, potlucks, or as a side dish for grilled meats. Its vibrant colors and refreshing flavors make it a favorite during the hot summer months.
Sopa Fria de Coditos is not only delicious but also a nutritious option, as it provides a good balance of carbohydrates, vegetables, and healthy fats.
Learn how to make the best Sopa Fria de Coditos, a traditional Mexican pasta salad that is perfect for picnics, potlucks, or as a light and refreshing meal.
Sopa Fria De Coditos Recipe
Best Sopa Fria De Coditos Recipe
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 cup cucumber diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper diced
- 1/4 cup red onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cup black olives sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the elbow macaroni according to the package instructions until al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cherry tomatoes, cucumber, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, red onion, black olives, and fresh cilantro. Toss gently to mix.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, lime juice, white vinegar, sugar, salt, and black pepper. This will be the dressing for the salad.
- Add the cooked and cooled macaroni to the bowl of vegetables. Pour the dressing over the pasta and vegetables.
- Gently toss the salad until all the ingredients are well coated with the dressing.
- Refrigerate the salad for at least 1 hour to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Before serving, give the salad a final toss and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Serve the Sopa Fria de Coditos chilled and garnish with additional cilantro if desired.
This recipe yields a delicious and colorful Sopa Fria de Coditos that is sure to impress your family and friends. The combination of the tangy lime dressing, crisp vegetables, and tender pasta creates a perfect balance of flavors and textures.
While this recipe is already fantastic as is, you can also experiment with some variations to suit your taste preferences. Here are a few ideas:
1. Protein Boost:
Add some protein to your Sopa Fria de Coditos by including diced grilled chicken, cooked shrimp, or canned tuna. These additions not only enhance the nutritional value of the dish but also make it more filling.
2. Spicy Kick:
If you enjoy spicy food, consider adding some diced jalapenos or a sprinkle of chili powder to give your pasta salad a fiery kick. Be sure to adjust the amount of spice according to your tolerance.
3. Creamy Twist:
If you prefer a creamier dressing, you can mix in some mayonnaise or Greek yogurt with the lime juice and olive oil. This variation adds a rich and creamy element to the dish.
Here are the approximate nutritional values per serving:
- Calories: 250
- Total Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 10mg
- Sodium: 350mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 35g
- Dietary Fiber: 3g
- Sugar: 4g
- Protein: 5g
Note: Nutritional values may vary depending on the specific brands of ingredients used.
Yes, you can customize the recipe by adding or substituting vegetables according to your preference. Some popular options include corn, peas, carrots, or olives.
Absolutely! This salad can be prepared a day in advance and stored in the refrigerator. Just give it a good stir before serving.
While elbow macaroni is traditional for this recipe, you can use any short pasta shape such as penne or rotini.
Yes, you can substitute the mayonnaise with a vegan alternative or use a combination of vegan mayonnaise and dairy-free yogurt.
Definitely! You can add cooked chicken, shrimp, or canned tuna to make it a more substantial meal.
Sopa Fria de Coditos is a versatile dish that can be enjoyed as a main course or as a side dish. Its vibrant colors, fresh flavors, and creamy dressing make it a crowd-pleaser at any gathering. With simple ingredients and easy preparation, this recipe is a must-try for anyone who loves pasta salads. So, the next time you’re looking for a refreshing and satisfying dish, give this Sopa Fria de Coditos recipe a try!