In this article you will learn to make a homemade iconic Moose Tracks ice cream. Moose tracks ice-cream is made with chocolate and peanut butter. If you like these flavours, this is definitely for you!
Moose tracks ice cream is basically made with the chocolate ice cream, ganache, chopped Reese’s peanut butter cups. Moose tracks ice cream is a summer dessert recipe that will keep you cool in summer weather.
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN IN THIS RECIPE?
In this moose tracks ice cream recipe you’ll learn about:
- Which ingredient makes the ice cream super creamy, rich, and smooth?
- How to store or freeze your ice cream properly
- Which ice cream maker is best at home?
MOOSE TRACKS ICE-CREAM – WHAT IS IT?
The original Moose Tracks ice cream is made with vanilla ice cream along with fudge swirls and mini peanut butter cups sprinkled.
We have made this recipe with chocolate ice cream and we use ganache instead of fudge. it is very similar to the original one but slightly different.
INGREDIENTS TO PREPARE MOOSE TRACKS ICE-CREAM:
Milk/Heavy Whipping Cream: This is the ingredients which makes the ice-cream, creamy, rich and smooth. It is the basic ingredient you must have while making moose tracks ice-cream.
Egg Yolks: All French-style custard based ice creams use eggs. It is rich in flavour which makes the ice cream texture creamy.
Granulated Sugar: sugar is always used in ice-cream to add sweetness. There are many different types of ice-cream but we use granulated sugar in this recipe. Granulated sugar helps to lower the freezing point of the water. This helps to prevent the ice cream from completely freezing up.
Reese’s/Ganache: ganache which helps to make the iconic Moose tracks ice cream. The ganache is homemade. This recipe is quite simple so don’t worry and read out thoroughly.
WHICH ICE-CREAM MAKER IS BEST AT HOME?
Ice cream maker is the important step to prepare the moose tracks ice cream. There are many different types of ice cream maker on the market but here we prefer some types:
Cuisinart: This is an affordable machine you can purchase for under $100 and it is great for space efficiency. You can simply use it and it would be a great machine for ice-cream.
Kitchen Aid: this is also the best option to make ice cream. It is high in speed which makes the fluffy ice cream.
Whynter: It has the best quality but it is a very expensive machine. The best part of this machine is that you can make back to back multiple batches because you don’t need to pre freeze the bowl like other two machines
INGREDIENTS FOR 1X:
For the ganache
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate finely chopped
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
For the Ice Cream
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup Reese’s cups roughly chopped
- Take a small bowl and add finely chopped chocolate and set aside.
- Then add heavy cream to the saucepan. Bring it to summer over medium flame.
- Pour the prepared hot cream over chocolate and let it rest for 3 minutes. Whisk the cream and chocolate together until the texture is fully combined.
- let it cool in the refrigerator
FOR THE ICE-CREAM:
- Fill a large bowl with ice and Place an empty bowl on top of the ice and set aside.
- In a saucepan add milk, heavy cream, and vanilla together. Cook over medium flame until mixture is steaming and small bubbles start to form.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk egg yolks, sugar, and cocoa powder together. Once the milk and cream is steaming, take a spoon full of the hot mixture over the eggs and quickly whisk together and repeat the same process again for one time.
- Add the egg mixture in the saucepan, and whisk to combine. Continue to cook and stirring constantly, until the temperature reaches 180°F.
- Place a mesh strainer over an empty bowl on top of the ice bath. Stain ice cream base. Chill ice cream base until steaming is stopped. Cover and refrigerate it overnight.
- One hour before churning the ice cream, remove the ganache from the refrigerator to come down to room temperature.
- Pour the ice cream texture into an ice cream maker and beat for about 20-25 minutes or by manufacturer direction.
- Place a third part of the ice cream in a plastic container, swirl in ganache and sprinkle pieces of Reese’s cups. Repeat the process with the remaining two layers. Place and store in an airtight container into the freezer for up to two weeks.
- Active Time 40 mins
- Cook Time 10 mins
- Chilling Time 8 hrs
- Total Time 9 hrs
- Course: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Servings: 1 ¼ quarts
- Calories: 3642 kcal