Have you ever heard of Pikes roast? If not, this place is for you! Here we will tell you about the Pikes Peak Roast Recipe. So, read this article thoroughly to know this tasty and delicious recipe and don’t forget to share it with your loved ones.
Pikes Peak roast is a traditional Colorado dish but has become a global favourite. Marinating gives the Pikes Peak Roast a wonderful Flavour. You will definitely love it, once you try it. If one does not eat beef then this is the best way to eat beef.
What exactly is Pikes Peak Roast?
Better known as ’round roast heel’, this is a roast of meat cut from the top of the hock.
It contains many connective tissues and muscles that make it tough and is cooked at low temperatures to tenderise it.
Origin of Pikes Peak Roast
Many things that Pikes Peak Roast is mostly served with vegetables, gravy and potatoes and is usually as the Sunday dinner. It’s true, Pikes Peak Roast is a traditional Sunday dish in Colorado.
How to Cook Pikes Peak Roast
Pikes Peak roast is easy to make and has few ingredients which you can prepare at your kitchen easily.
Pikes Peak Roast is best served with a variety of flavours. Use as per your taste and preference .The skin is really juicy and crispy and the result will be magical. Use low to medium burners such as a roasting pan or the Dutch oven to get the best results.
Otherwise, it will dry out and parched, disrupting his ability to get water in his mouth.
Ingredients needed to prepare
- 1 cut large pikes peak roast
- Four peppercorns / black pepper
- ½ tablespoon of chopped dill
- ½ tablespoon of chopped basil
- 4 gold potatoes yukon
- ½ cup of olive oil
- 2 beers ( it’s your choice )
Step by step Instructions
- First step which you have to follow is to preheat the oven to about 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the pike peak roast in a large bowl after rinsing and patting dry with a paper towel.
- Brush the roast with olive oil, then pour the beer.
You can marinate it for an hour or let it rest overnight. Your marinated roast flavour will be better, if you let it rest overnight .Your marinated roast will taste better if you let it rest overnight.
- Split the roast into 4 cuts and place peppercorns in each.
- Then scraping it with dill and basil.
- Then Add potatoes, onions, and carrots into the Dutch oven.
- Put the meat and pour a little beer on it.
- Cover the roast and let it cook for about 4 hours until the thermometer reaches the desired temperature.
- Then Remove the roast from the oven. Use the aluminium foil and preserve it for about 10 minutes.
- Prepare a tantalising gravy using a sauce stocking in the bottom of a Dutch oven or pan.
- Cuisine: American
- Course: Dinner
- Preparation time:1 hour
- Cooking time: 4 hours
- Total time: 5 hours
- Servings: 7
How to Grill Pikes Peak Roast
The Smoky flavour of Grilled Pikes Peak Roast has a Different level of Flavor. You will definitely love the taste, when you try the Grilled Pikes Peak Roast.
- A large piece of Pikes Peak roast cut
- 1 chopped black pepper
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 chopped garlic
- Smoked paprika
- Kosher salt
- Olive oil
- Put the meat at room temperature for about 30 minutes
- Then add Spices such as black pepper, garlic powder, paprika, kosher salt, and brown sugar.Mix them well to make the dry mixture.
- Pour olive oil onto the roast and add dry rub over it.
- On the other hand, prepare the grill or the smoker at a 300-degree fire.
- Place roast on grill or the smoker and cover it.
- Cook for about 1 -2 hours.
- For a medium roast, wait until to 140 degrees and 190 degrees for a tender roast at room temperature.
- To retain juiciness, wrap the roast in foil or butter paper.
- After that, Remove from the grill and place it on a tray for about 10-15 minutes to rest.
- Then Slice it into your desired sizes.
How to Store Pikes Peak Roast
You can store raw and cooked Pikes Peak roast in a plastic wrap and in foil. We have provided you different storage process which we discuss below:
Store the cooked Pikes Peak roast for a short time
You can store the cooked pike peak roast by wrapping it with plastic wrap or the foil.
Store the cooked Pikes Peak roast for long
If you want to store cooked Pikes Peak roast for a longer period of time, you should wrap it in plastic wrap or in foil and put it in the freezer. You can also use air tight containers or freezers bags.
Store the uncooked Pikes Peak roast for long
To freeze the uncooked Pikes Peak roast, put it in airtight containers or freezer bags and refrigerate.
Tips and variations
- You can add more flavours as per your taste such as add spices and vegetables
- Slow cooker must be in good condition to prevent overheating and causing a fire.
- You can make sandwiches with the remaining Pike’s Peak roast.
Pikes Peak Roast is rich in Protein, zinc, and it also Provides B12 and B6 vitamins which are really helpful for your diet.
It is a delicious recipe, everyone will appreciate it if you make it for dinner or the party. We recommend you to try this cooked and grilled Pikes Peak roast Recipe that we have shared because it is quite unique and delectable. Share this unique recipe with your loved ones and have fun!